Ruchira took an early decision to quit her corporate career and follow her heart to be with the arts. In 1998, she began her work life at SPIC MACAY Delhi and coordinated several events ranging from LEC-DEMs at schools to overnight concerts and national conventions. She also served as the Secretary of the National Advisory Board for two years. After she moved out of Delhi, she helped in setting up and reviving chapters in North Karnataka and Kerala and organised several fund-raising concerts in Bangalore.
While in Bangalore, she also worked with India Literacy Project where she helped in setting up community libraries and steered a Mentorship Programme.
From 2009 to 2013, she worked as a Programme and Publicity coordinator at Ranan, a dance-theatre collective and was the Festival Manager for Rabindra Utsav, a festival of music, dance and theatre which saw the participation of artistes from across the country.
In Dec 2013 she founded ThinkArts, inspired by the integral role that the arts played in the lives of her two homeschooled daughters. Ruchira also works as an independent consultant and has designed activity trails for young visitors at Museums, led workshops for teachers, facilitated participatory art projects with young people and created DreamScape, a sensorial exhibition for toddlers. She curates the annual literary festival for children, Junior Kolkata Literary Meet.
In Sep 2018, she took up an additional role as Deputy Director, ARThink South Asia. She is also a tutor for Strategic Planning in the Arts. Since July 2020, Ruchira is the Artistic Director of Arthshila and looks after programming at their multi arts centres currently running in Ahmedabad & Santiniketan and coming up soon in Delhi & Patna.
- Artistic Director, Arthshila
- Deputy Director, ARThink South Asia
- Co-director of the Junior Kolkata Literary Meet
- Director, Pickle Factory Dance Foundation
- Tutor, Strategic Planning in the Arts, for short courses run by ATSA - 2018 onwards
- Participant of Australia International Arts Leadership Programme 2017-18
- One of the 8 artists for Chitpur Local Second Edition
- Participant of NRW International Visitor's Programme - February 2017
- A Global Fellow ISPA 2016 & 2018 .
- An ARThink South Asia Fellow 2015-16 .
- Guest Faculty member for TEST - Theatre for Education & Social Transformation, Shiv Nadar University - June 2016
- Faculty member Interim 2015 at Srishti College of Art & Design Bangalore in Nov-Dec 2015.
- Participant in the Atelier for Young Festival Managers, Edinburgh - April 2014.
- Participant of the Jana Natya Manch Theatre Study Tour organised by India Theatre Forum - Dec 2013.
- Intern at Prithvi Theatre during Summertime Festival for Children - June 2010.